This recipe was inspired by a more complicated version from a gluten free cookbook. I’m all about making recipes simple, easy and healthy! These little raw bites are perfect for a pre-workout snack or anytime you crave something sweet – and the kids love them too
Makes 12 balls
Prep Time: 5 minutes
2/3 cup organic almonds, raw or toasted
2/3 cup organic raw walnuts
2/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
4 teaspoons ground flax seeds*
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger**
3 Tablepoons organic maple syrup
1 Tablespoon almond milk
Organic shredded coconut (optional)
Putting it all together:
- Combine almonds, walnuts, oats, cinnamon, cloves, ground flax seeds and ginger in a food processor. Process until looks like coarse crumbs and then add the ginger, maple syrup and almond milk until the mixture sticks together and looks relatively smooth.
- Roll into balls and place on parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Optional: roll balls in organic shredded coconut
- Can be eaten right away or chilled in the fridge. Keeps for approximately one week in an airtight container in the fridge.
* Flax seeds are best and retain their nutritional value when purchased whole and ground up as needed. The best way to do this is with a simple inexpensive coffee grinder like this one. Keep whole or freshly ground flax seeds in the freezer for freshness.
**Use this handy tool for the easiest way to grate fresh ginger. Ground ginger spice will not give this recipe the same great flavor.