I love stuffed peppers but just find it too much of a hassle to make and the kids don’t end up eating the entire pepper! This way, it’s easier to eat, quicker to prepare and the kids get all the vegetables, no need for an additional side dish. This recipe is a family favorite and packed with Vitamin A, Iron, Fiber and Protein.
Serves 10-12; if you have a small family, just freeze the rest for another night! Freezes well up to 3 months.
2 cups organic basmatti or long grain brown rice
4 cups water
3 lb. grass-fed lean ground beef
1 1/2 Tablespoons avocado oil
6 organic red peppers, chopped
2 Tablespoons organic Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons Himalayan pink salt
1/2 – 1 tsp organic red pepper flakes
2 cans organic crushed tomatos (24 oz each)
1 can organic diced tomatos (14.5 oz)*
2 1/2 cups water (or a little more if you like it more “saucy” )
12 stalks chopped green onion
Putting it all together:
- Add the rice and 4 cups water to a rice cooker. Set it and forget it until done!
- Meanwhile, in a large pot OR in an instant pot using the saute feature, heat over medium heat. Add the beef and stir until it is broken up and cooked through. Transfer to a glass bowl.
- Add the oil to the same pot and cook the peppers until tender, approximately 8 minutes. Add the cooked beef back to the pot.
- Add Italian seasoning, salt, red pepper flakes, crushed tomatos, diced tomatos, water and most of the green onions. Let it cook on low for 25 to 30 minutes. (If using an instant pot, just leave in on saute)
- Combine the beef mixture with the rice; stir together and top with the remaining green onions.
*Can use 6 fresh tomatos instead of canned diced tomatos; preferably organic as tomatos are high in pesticides.
When using canned tomatos, always look for organic and no-BPA lining.Read More